Sikorsky HUS-1G (HH-34) “Seahorse” (1959)

Sikorsky HUS-1G (HH-34) “Seahorse” The Coast Guard acquired six HUS-1Gs from Sikorsky in 1959. It was medium range utility helicopter, its primary mission in the Coast Guard was search and rescue work. It was also suited for transporting personnel and cargo, reconnaissance, and general utility. The main cabin is located directly beneath the main rotor with pilots' compartment above and forward of cabin. A Wright engine located in the nose is accessible by clamshell doors. Interior accommodations included side-by-side seating for pilot and co-pilot and 10 seats for passengers in the cabin. Design features include a 600-lb. rescue hoist, automatic stabilization system, towing apparatus, provisions for instruments and night flying, a droppable fuel tank an port side for range extension, and dual control systems. It was planned to replace the HO4S helicopters with the HUS. Three out of the first six were lost in over water accidents by November of 1962. As a result the Coast Guard opted for the HH-52A turbine helicopter. Under a DOD directive dated 6 [...]

Sikorsky HUS-1G (HH-34) “Seahorse” (1959)2021-11-05T16:53:35+00:00

Lockheed HC-130 B/H/J “Hercules” (1959)

Lockheed HC-130 B/H/J   “Hercules” The C-130s have proven to be ideal for the Coast Guard mission. The first airplanes delivered to the Coast Guard were C-130Bs. In 1966 the USCG received another version of the HERCULES, a specially configured EC-130E equipped with calibration equipment for the service's far-flung LORAN stations. In the late sixties and early seventies, the Coast Guard began equipping with the HC-130H, soon after the same version went into service with the USAF. This updated version was obtained to primarily perform search and rescue missions. C-130J aircraft were obtained in 2004 for a logistic support role. They had an enhanced cargo handling system that allowed for rapid conversion from in-floor load tie-downs to rollers for palletized cargo. In 2008 they were upgraded with interoperable mission packages equipping them to function as very effective search and rescue aircraft. HC-130s can exceed 2,600 nautical miles (4,815km) in low-altitude flight with a mission endurance of up to 14 hours. Inertial Navigation Systems (INS), Omega, Loran-C, Global Positioning System [...]

Lockheed HC-130 B/H/J “Hercules” (1959)2021-11-23T07:41:01+00:00

Bell, HUL-1G (1959)

Bell, HUL-1G Two four-place HUL-1s were transferred from the Navy in 1959 and redesignated HUL-1Gs in Coast Guard service. Both aircraft were assigned standard USCG four-digit serials, 1337 and 1338. In addition to full instrumentation for night flying, both machines featured a 400 pound capacity rescue hoist. Based at CGAS Kodiak they flew ice reconnaissance from the icebreaker NORTHWIND during the 1959 Bering Sea Patrol, and later operated from the cutter STORIS in the Bering Sea for search and rescue and utility duty. One float-equipped aircraft operated from cutters and icebreakers in the Gulf of Alaska during the 1960s. They could also be ski-equipped. The helicopters could be carried in the C-123 greatly increasing their utilization potential. The type was redesignated HH-13Q in 1962 and served the Coast Guard until December of 1967.

Bell, HUL-1G (1959)2021-11-11T15:55:14+00:00

Fairchild C-123B “Provider” (1958)

Fairchild C-123B "Provider" In October of 1953 the Fairchild Aircraft Company was awarded the contract to begin a series production of 293 C-123B aircraft. It had an upswept rear fuselage modified with a hydraulically operated loading ramp. This shape remains the characteristic of most modern military transports to this day.  The C-123B was utilized as a troop carrier, medivac transport, and support missions from short, minimally-prepared landing strips. Operational enhancements continued and the aircraft was used extensively during the Vietnam conflict for a multitude of missions.  The Coast Guard acquired the first of eight C-123B’s from the USAF in June of 1958 for use as logistical transports in support of the expansion and installation of the LORAN C network and other isolated installations. These installations were situated around the globe, many of which were in remote locations. The aircraft operated from Coast Guard Air Stations located at Miami, Florida; Puerto Rico; Barbers Point, Hawaii; Guam; Kodiak, Alaska; and Naples, Italy. They were distinguished from other C-123s by the Coast [...]

Fairchild C-123B “Provider” (1958)2021-11-23T07:41:02+00:00

Martin P5M-1G/2G “ Marlin” (1954)

Martin P5M-1G/2G  “ Marlin” The prototype P5M Marlin was based on the PBM-5 Mariner. The P5M had the same wing but an extensively modified fuselage with a hull that extended the full length of the aircraft. It featured a tall single vertical stabilizer instead of the twin tail fins of the PBM-5 and the horizontal stabilizer featured a strong dihedral. The aircraft featured “hydroflaps” operated by the pilot’s rudder pedals, which could be used as water brakes. The P5M was a pure seaplane. The Navy ordered the P5M into production with changes to the prototype. The hull design was revised; the nose turret was replaced with a radome for an AN/APS -80 search radar; the cockpit was raised; the wing floats were mounted on single wide struts. Martin began a major redesign of the P5M-1 in 1951, producing the P5M-2. The P5M-2 had a distinctive tee tail, with a MAD boom fitted at the junctions of the tailplanes; uprated engines; much greater fuel capacity; the bow chime was lowered [...]

Martin P5M-1G/2G “ Marlin” (1954)2021-11-23T07:41:02+00:00

Martin VC-3A (1953)

Martin VC-3A  The Coast Guard acquired two Martin 4-0-4's in 1952. The Martin 4-0-4 was a pressurized passenger airliner built by the Glenn L. Martin Company. They were initially designated RM-1 but this changed to RM-1Z after their interiors were upgraded. The designation again changed as per a DoD directive to VC-3A. They were given Coast Guard serial numbers 1282 and 1283. Each was stationed at National Airport and served as executive transports for the Commandant and the Secretary of Treasury until April 1967 and then the Secretary of Transportation when the Coast Guard was transferred to the DOT. It had rear ventral stairs and a retractable tricycle landing gear and was powered by two Pratt & Whitney R-2800-CB16 radial piston engines. It was appointed well and very comfortable to ride in The aircraft were retired in 1969 and turned over to the U.S. Navy who gave them Bureau Numbers 158202 and 158203.

Martin VC-3A (1953)2021-11-23T07:41:02+00:00

Sikorsky HO5S-1G (1952)

Sikorsky HO5S-1G  Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation's two-seat S-52, the first helicopter to have all-metal rotor blades, first flew on 12 February 1947. Sikorsky developed a four-seat model and gave it the more powerful Franklin 0-425-1 engine. This model was first accepted first by the Marine Corps. It received the designation HO5S-1. The Coast Guard acquired their HO5S-1Gs in September 1952. They proved to be weight limited. Short ranged and the cabin space was too small.

Sikorsky HO5S-1G (1952)2021-11-11T16:11:38+00:00

Grumman UF-1G/2G (later HU-16E) “Albatross” (1951)

Grumman UF-1G/2G (later HU-16E) "Albatross" The Albatross, known by those who flew it as the “Goat”, proved to be ideal for the Coast Guard. It could operate from both land and water. For take-offs in open sea or short field operations it could be fitted with JATO affixed to each side of the aft fuselage. The external store racks fitted to each wing were used to carry 295 gallon drop tanks. When combined with the fuel capacity of the main tanks and fuel carried in the wing floats a range of over 2100 nautical miles and 14 plus hours in the air, with sufficient fuel reserve, was obtained, making it an excellent search vehicle. AN/APS-31A search radar was fitted in the nose. HF SSB receivers, interrogators, and MF/VHF/UHF direction finding equipment was standard. Sheltered water take-offs and landings at weights up to 32,000 pounds were possible without the use of JATO. Open sea operations were possible under favorable conditions with JATO. With lives at stake, however, there were numerous [...]

Grumman UF-1G/2G (later HU-16E) “Albatross” (1951)2021-11-23T07:41:02+00:00

Sikorsky HO4S-2G / 3G; “Horse” (1951)

Sikorsky HO4S-2G / 3G; “Horse” Late in 1951, the Coast Guard acquired the Sikorsky HO4S-2G helicopter for search and rescue duty. Seven helicopters were obtained on the initial order. Cruising speed was 80 knots and top speed was 115 knots, ceiling 16,000 feet and range, 400 miles. In 1953 the first of 24 upgraded HO4S-3Gs came aboard. Ten additional HRS (HO4S-3G) were obtained from the Navy .in 1961.  The HO4S helicopters extended the Coast Guard’s rescue capabilities far beyond what was imagined 20 years prior.  Although underpowered by today’s standards it was the first operational helicopter capable of carrying multiple survivors in a cabin and carry heavy loads. It had a rescue hoist capable of lifting 400 pounds. It proved, beyond all doubt, the capabilities and value of the helicopter for Coast Guard operations. They performed numerous rescues during the next decade, some best described as miraculous, within parameters never before achieved. Such was the case when a single HO4S helicopter crew pulled 138 people to safety in 1955 [...]

Sikorsky HO4S-2G / 3G; “Horse” (1951)2021-11-23T07:41:02+00:00

Kaman K-225 “Mixmaster” (1950)

Kaman K-225 "Mixmaster" The K-125 was Charles Kaman’s first helicopter, which utilized intermeshing rotors and Kaman's patented servo-flap stability control.  The K-125 first flew on 15 January 1947.The K-190 and K-225 were an improved versions of the K-125, which first flew in April and July 1949 respectively. The U.S. Navy bought two K-225s and the Coast Guard one to test and evaluate. The cost was $25,000 each. The United States Air Force evaluated one K-225 with the designation YH-22. On 11 May 1950, CG-239 went into the workshops at Elizabeth City after undergoing 120 flying hours of testing and evaluation.. After this, it was apparently "little used" except for pilot refresher training. CG-239 was transferred to the Navy on 22 March 1954 and was later sold into private hands. Kaman later modified the K-225 installing a turboshaft engine. It was the world's first gas turbine- powered helicopter. This aircraft is now at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.  

Kaman K-225 “Mixmaster” (1950)2021-11-23T07:41:02+00:00