Consolidated P4Y-2G “Privateer” The first six PB4Y-2aircraft were obtained beginning in 1945, They were used as support aircraft for the Coast Guard Loran Stations throughout the Pacific. Originally based out of Coast Guard Air Detachment Kaneohe, Hawaii, the detachment moved to NAS Barbers Point Hawaii when the Navy closed NAS Kaneohe. In 1952 during the Korean War the Navy asked the Coast Guard to provide long range SAR capability for the Pacific supply routes. An additional seven PB4Y-2s were obtained and configured for SAR. The designation was PB4Y-2G. After the Korean War the PB4Y-2Gs were based out of CG Air Detachment Barbers Point, CG Air Station San Francisco and CG Air Station San Diego. They were used for long range Search and Rescue responsibilities. The last four PB4Y-2Gs were sold as surplus in July 1958. Manufacturer: Model: Year: 1945
Consolidated PB4Y-1 “Liberator” PB4Y-2 with locally fabricated nose blisterL – R: Bishop ARM1, Apple AMM1 ADAMS AOC, xxxxxxx, Yeager AMM1 -- On 12 July 1945 VPB-6 (CG) was redesignated a non-combat squadron. Operational control remained with Commander Task Force 24.0. Four PB4Y-1 aircraft were obtained from the Navy. Two were returned to the Navy within a several month period and two were assigned for ice reconnaissance test work with AN/APS-15A radar. In August VPB-6 (CG) was directed to transfer its headquarters from BW-1 to the Naval Facility at Argentia. The Coast Guard was returned to the Treasury department on 1 January 1946. VPB-6(CG) was disestablished as a Navy Squadron at that time. Elements of the squadron would continue as an air detachment which operated as part of the North Atlantic Ocean Patrol (NORLANTPAC). This became Coast Guard Air Detachment Argentia. During the spring of 1946 the International Ice Patrol was resumed. Two PB4Y-1s were used for that purpose. They were [...]
Consolidated PB2Y-5 "Coronado" In April 1942, Coast Guard Air Station San Francisco was assigned to the operational control of the Commander, Western Sea Frontier, U. S. Navy. The Navy leased 85 acres at Mills Field and commissioned a Naval Auxiliary Airfield supporting Pan American which was flying under contract to the Navy. The Commanding Officer of the Coast Guard Air Station was also the Commanding Officer of the Naval Air Facility The Station conducted Search and Rescue operations and commenced Coastal ASW Patrols. Coast Guard and Navy personnel flew joint ASW patrols in OS2U-3 Kingfisher aircraft. The station was also tasked with aiding in the construction of the highly classified and secret Long Range Navigation (LORAN) stations in the North Pacific during 1943. Four PB2Y-4 aircraft were assigned to provide personnel and material support for the LORAN program in the pacific. Manufacturer: Model: Year: 1944
The first PBY obtained by the Coast Guard, V189, was purchased from the Navy in the spring of 1941. It was specially outfitted at Air Station San Francisco with a nine-lens-camera for mapping coastal regions around the country. While the arrangement worked well in the lower 48, after two mapping trips to Alaska the camera was transferred to a newer PBY-5A (PBY BuNo 08055), an amphibian, making it more versatile in the extreme environment of Alaska.