Douglas R5D-3/4 "Skymaster" The Coast Guard acquired twenty Douglas R5D's./C-54s. This was the military version of the Civilian DC-4 The Army Air Force's/Air Force's designation was C-54. The first five aircraft were acquired in 1950.from the USAF. The additional fifteen were acquired from both the USN and USAF. The R5Ds were used for transport duties, logistical support, search and rescue operations, duty with the International Ice Patrol, LORAN testing and photographic mapping flight. They remained in dervice up to 1963. The photo mapping R5D stayed on the Coast Guard's inventory until 1966. These aircraft were stationed at air stations Elizabeth City, Barbers Point, and San Francisco. Three were assigned to CGAD Argentia for the International Ice Patrol. These aircraft replaced the Boeing PB-1G's. The R5D's first patrol began during the 1958 ice season. The R5D's were last used on the International Ice Patrol during the 1962 season and were then replaced with the HC-130 B Hercules aircraft. Manufacturer: [...]
R4D-5 “Skytrain” The Coast Guard acquire eight Douglas R4D-5 transport from the Navy between October 5 1946 and Jan 31, 1947.. They were used for search and rescue duties, as transports, and logistic support work. Note the wide cargo door and the search blister forward of the cargo door. All but four R4D-5's were removed from service by 1956 and only one, Bureau Number 12446, remained in service until 1961. Interviews with WWII personnel and pilot log books show that Coast Guard pilots flew R4D-4/5 aircraft prior to 1946. These were USN aircraft. During WWII, when required, aircraft were "borrowed" from the nearest NAS for brief periods - a week to as long as 90 days and used by the Coast Guard. When a Coast Guard aviation facility was co-based with an active NAS, the desired aircraft were provided the same way - drawn from what was termed "pool aircraft". These machines remained property of the USN Pool they came from. They were [...]
The SOC was the last of the "Curtiss biplanes in operational service" with the U.S. Navy and was designed for use as a scout aircraft for battleships and cruisers--capable of catapult operation and landing at sea. The Coast Guard acquired the final three produced by Curtiss in 1938 and these were designated as SOC-4s. They were assigned the Coast Guard call numbers V171, V172, and V173.
The Coast Guard acquired 13 total of four different variants of the famous Douglas Dolphin. They began acquiring Dolphins soon after the prototype model, named Sinbad, was introduced in 1930. It had an all-metal hull with room for 8 passengers and two flight crewmen.
Douglas O-38C One Douglas O-38C aircraft was ordered by the War Department for the Coast Guard in 1931. This single Douglas O-38C, tail number 32-394, was given the Coast Guard number "CG-9" and was commissioned in December 1931. That Coast Guard number was later changed to "V-108." The aircraft crashed and was written off in April 1934. Manufacturer: Model: Year: 1931