Loening OL-5 (1926)

Loening OL-5     (1926) Three OL-5s were purchased. Two were based at Coast Guard Air Station Ten Pound Island   Gloucester MA and one at  Cape May NJ. Purchased in 1926, The amphibians were given tail numbers of CG-1 (later 101), CG-2 (later 102), and CG-3 (later 103). Two of the Loenings crashed while the third, 102 (CG-2), was retired in April 1935 UO-4 was retired in 1935.

Loening OL-5 (1926)2021-11-23T13:04:49+00:00

Vought UO-1, UO-4 (1926)

Vought UO-1, UO-4 A UO-1 was borrowed from the Navy to demonstrate the advantages of aircraft during prohibition. The demonstration was successful and appropriations were forthcoming for the first Coast Guard purchase of aircraft. The Coast Guard Commandant, Admiral Billard, obtained an appropriation of $162,000 for the purchase of five aircraft specifically designed for the Coast Guard. Three were modified Loening OL-5 amphibians with strengthened hulls for rough water landings and larger fuel tanks providing for increased fuel for extended law enforcement patrols. And two UO-1s were upgraded to UO-4s. Two UO-4 were purchased. One was based at Coast Guard Air Station Ten Pound Island  and one at Coast Guard Air Station Cape May which was commissioned in 1926. The OU-43 were given tail numbers CG-4 and CG-5

Vought UO-1, UO-4 (1926)2021-11-23T13:06:42+00:00

Aeromarine, Model 40 (1917-1921)

Aeromarine, Model 40 The Coast Guard, after commissioning an air station at Morehead City, NC, acquired two of these types from the Navy. This was in addition to four HS2L's also acquired at this time. After the Coast Guard closed the air station due to lack of funding, they were all deliberately "destroyed."

Aeromarine, Model 40 (1917-1921)2021-11-23T13:11:35+00:00

Curtiss HS-2L (1917-1921)

Curtis HS-2L The Coast Guard was transferred from the Navy back to the Treasury Department on 28 August 1919. Coast Guard Captain Stanley V. Parker who had been the Commanding Officer of the Naval Air station Rockaway, New York was ordered to Headquarters and assigned as the Aide for Aviation. With the war over Parker turned Coast Guard attention back to the utilization of aircraft in the saving of life and property along the coastal regions of the United States and at sea contiguous to them. The new Commandant, William Edward Reynolds, was favorably disposed toward the establishment of a Coast Guard air station to thoroughly evaluate the concept. The authority to establish Coast Guard air stations was contained in the Navy Deficiency Act of 1916. Four HS-2L flying boats and two Aeromarine Model 40s, used during WWI, were obtained from the U.S. Navy. The air station continued to prove its worth but there was no appropriation for continued operation forthcoming from Congress. The Morehead City air station remained [...]

Curtiss HS-2L (1917-1921)2021-11-23T13:12:46+00:00