Aeromarine, Model 40 The Coast Guard, after commissioning an air station at Morehead City, NC, acquired two of these types from the Navy. This was in addition to four HS2L's also acquired at this time. After the Coast Guard closed the air station due to lack of funding, they were all deliberately "destroyed."
Curtis HS-2L The Coast Guard was transferred from the Navy back to the Treasury Department on 28 August 1919. Coast Guard Captain Stanley V. Parker who had been the Commanding Officer of the Naval Air station Rockaway, New York was ordered to Headquarters and assigned as the Aide for Aviation. With the war over Parker turned Coast Guard attention back to the utilization of aircraft in the saving of life and property along the coastal regions of the United States and at sea contiguous to them. The new Commandant, William Edward Reynolds, was favorably disposed toward the establishment of a Coast Guard air station to thoroughly evaluate the concept. The authority to establish Coast Guard air stations was contained in the Navy Deficiency Act of 1916. Four HS-2L flying boats and two Aeromarine Model 40s, used during WWI, were obtained from the U.S. Navy. The air station continued to prove its worth but there was no appropriation for continued operation forthcoming from Congress. The Morehead City air station remained [...]
Curtiss NC-4 The NC-4 was one of four NC (Navy-Curtiss) flying-boats, built during World War I, originally to provide patrol cover for American shipping in the Atlantic against the German U-boats but the war was ending even as flight testing began. After the War it was decided to enter the Navy-Curtiss machines for a transatlantic attempt. At 20:01 hours on May 27, 1919, NC-4' completed the first transatlantic flight.LT. Elmer Stone USCG was the pilot.
Curtiss R-6 The Curtiss R-6 was flown by Coast Guard Aviators during WWI. The Armored Cruiser Huntington arrived in Pensacola on May 28, 1917 for a series of tests and evaluations. 3rd Lieutenant E. F. Stone USCG, 3rd Lieutenant Robert Donohue USCG and CAP C.T. Thrun USCG were ordered aboard as part of a nine man aviation detachment. Lieutenant Marc Mitscher, USN had reported aboard at Mare Island as Senior Aviator. Some WWI Navy Aircraft were flown by Coast Guard Aviators who were assigned to Naval Air Stations
Curtiss HS-1 During WWI the Coast Guard was part of the Navy. Some Coast Guard Aviators flew the Curtiss HS-1 This was a Navy aircraft. It is listed to provide historical significance.
Curtiss N-9 The Curtiss N-9 was used by the Navy for flight training during WWI. It was an adaption of the Army’s JN Jenny – CG aviators learned to fly in them. The N-9 was a Navy aircraft. It is listed to provide historical sequence.
When Lieutenants Stone and Hall first participated in flights to prove the value of the airplane to the Coast Guard –they did so at the Curtis Flying School at Hampton Roads Virginia. A Curtis MF Flying Boat was utilized It was not a Coast Guard aircraft.