The Coast Guard purchased three Waco cabin model EQC-6 biplanes for use with the newly commissioned Treasury Class cutters as observation craft. They were fitted with floats for cutter duty. The J2F proved superior because it was an amphibian. They entered service in March, 1937 and were given Coast Guard numbers of: CG-157, 158 and 159. They were transferred to the Air Patrol Detachment at El Paso Texas. V-157 and V-158 crashed. V159 was withdrawn from service in 1939.