Grumman developed the G-21 Goose as a civilian transport aircraft designed to meet the needs of wealthy business organizations. It was put on the market in 1937. The Navy began acquiring the G-26 version in 1938 and designated them as JRF, Seven G-39 design aircraft designated JRF-2, were built to Coast Guard specifications, and were purchased by the Coast Guard in 1939 and 1940.
The Coast Guard contracted for seven modified Hall PH-1 flying boats. This type of amphibian aircraft was originally developed for the Navy as a patrol aircraft. The upgraded flying boats purchased by the Coast Guard and delivered in 1938 had more powerful engines as well as more specialized equipment and capabilities for search and rescue duties.
The SOC was the last of the "Curtiss biplanes in operational service" with the U.S. Navy and was designed for use as a scout aircraft for battleships and cruisers--capable of catapult operation and landing at sea. The Coast Guard acquired the final three produced by Curtiss in 1938 and these were designated as SOC-4s. They were assigned the Coast Guard call numbers V171, V172, and V173.
The Coast Guard purchased three Waco cabin model EQC-6 biplanes for use with the newly commissioned Treasury Class cutters as observation craft. They were fitted with floats for cutter duty. The J2F proved superior because it was an amphibian. They entered service in March, 1937 and were given Coast Guard numbers of: CG-157, 158 and 159. They were transferred to the Air Patrol Detachment at El Paso Texas. V-157 and V-158 crashed. V159 was withdrawn from service in 1939.
The Coast Guard purchased two Fairchild J2K-1s and two J2K-2s in 1936. Two, V160 and V161, were assigned to Air Station St. Petersburg and the other two, V162 and V163, were assigned to Air Station Charleston. Three of the four were lost due to crashes.
The Coast Guard acquired 1 Model 10-B Electra, which the Coast Guard designated R3O-1, for use as the commandant's flagship on 19 April 1936.The Coast Guard initially registered the Lockheed as No. 383, then changed it to V151. In addition to serving the commandant, this aircraft was also made available to the Secretary of the Treasury as well. The aircraft served the Coast Guard well but was traded to the Marine Corps in 1945 for a Grumman J2F. The commandant's executive transport aircraft by then was a Lockheed R-5O Lodestar, USCG No. 12453, acquired in 1942.
The Coast Guard acquired a single RT-1 on 20 February 1935 as an executive transport for use of the Commandant as well as the Secretary of the Treasury. It was damaged in an accident in 1940 and was decommissioned that December and sold to a private company. The Coast Guard initially gave the RT-1 the serial number 382, and after October 1936, changed it to V-150.
The Coast Guard purchased one of these aircraft in 1934 for electronics test flying under contract #TCG-23248 at a cost of $11,370. It was stationed at the Coast Guard Air Station, Floyd Bennett Field, Brooklyn, NY, and was given the Coast Guard serial number 149. By 1939 it was based with the Air Patrol Detachment at Air Station Cape May, NJ.
The Coast Guard acquired two of these aircraft from the U.S. Customs Service in 1934. In actuality the Customs Service gave the Coast Guard a total of 15 different aircraft that year. Almost all were surveyed due to poor condition. All had been confiscated from convicted smugglers.
The Coast Guard obtained six Chance-Vought O2U-2 Corsairs from the Navy Department's inventory; three in 1934 and three more in 1935. They were modified at Eastern Air Service, Miami. The overhaul included removal of til hooks, installation of dual controls for the aft cockpit, installation of Coast Guard radios, and engine overhauls.